Quilling was started as a hobby by women in ancient days. They started by rolling off paper strips around the tips of the quills(feather) to form scroll shapes, hence the name ‘quilling’. The scrolls were then pinched on to make different shapes and glued them to surfaces and decorated.
To start with Paper Quilling / Filigree, You will need:
- Quilling paper (available in shops) or cut thin strips of paper in different colors. [standard width : 3 mm ]
- Quilling slotted tool (if you don't have one to begin learning start with you can use a toothpick to roll, but the tool makes the job easier)
- Quilling board , to get perfect coil size (its optional, i myself don't have one)
- PVA Glue, to stick the scroll ends.
- a toothpick, to apply glue n the paper
- scissors , to cut the paper
- finally a lot of Patience :)
Okay, Now lets see How to do it
if you don't glue the ends its called scroll. Again there are many types of scrolls.
Continued in Part 2 - for more types of rolls and scrolls....